Thursday, June 16, 2011

Time for a Little Update...

I’ve been visiting my hometown (Tulsa, Oklahoma) for 8 days now. While spending quality time with my family and old buddies has been terrific, I have to admit, I’m suffering from a bit of culture shock. Here’s a few noticeable differences from my Boston life:

1) A bigger car is a safer car.
2) Walking is bothersome. Why would you walk or ride a bike or take public transportation to get to your destination when you could drive the aforementioned over-size vehicle? What kind of government propaganda is that?! (I think I’m developing blood clots in my legs.)
3) Wal-Mart rules!
4) Kenny Chesney is immensely talented. (I guess that’s the thinking you develop when country music constitutes 89% of the available radio stations.)
5) This is a serious one – the average Boston resident really is abrupt. The other day, the cashier at Wal-Mart thanked me for visiting and wished me a nice day with a very genuine-looking smile. I was immediately shocked/suspicious, and opted to ignore her because she must want something. My sister informed me I was embarrassing her.
6) Organic food is expensive, hard to find, and gross. (Thank you, Mom, for not believing any of this.)
7) Insects are just a part of life. (Which is true, I guess. But I really enjoyed my life without them.)
8) The sun is SO BRIGHT. I had forgotten what real, un-hindered by clouds or buildings, sunglasses-are-not-optional sunshine feels like.
9)Roadkill happens. And it's disgusting. Please note, I saw one roadkill victim during the entirety of my time in Boston, and it was a kitten.
10) Females should have medium to long hair, or else they look like a boy or a 60+ woman. Which is unfortunate, seeing as my hair now looks like this –
Again, thank you, Mom, for not believing any of this.

1 comment:

intrepid.ly said...

I guess I have been masquerading as a boy in a very unsafe car for the last few years. :-) Oh, and I make my own granola with ingredients I buy from Aldi. I guess I would make a bad Tulsan ... not that I would survive long there, anyway. Too many kamikaze drivers!

Post a Comment