Thursday, June 30, 2011

Berry Baking

I love baking. It's therapeutic to use a hand-beater, roll dough into cookies, or lightly boil a berry sauce (while stirring continuously). And today, while baking, I realized I've never blogged about this particular hobby. So, here 'tis.

Today's bout of baking was inspired by visiting Thunderbird Berry Farm this morning to pick blueberries with my mom and younger brother, Joshie. (Picking berries - also therapeutic)


With 8 pounds of fresh, sun-warmed blueberries strewn about the kitchen, I felt compelled to bake something! I chose Blueberry Oat Bars from allrecipes.com, which is my go-to baking/cooking website. These were scrumptious! An all-around hit.

But something else I realized today: I alter every recipe, sometimes beyond recognition. Here are the changes I made to this recipe:
1) substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour & 1/2 cup all-purpose flour for 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour;
2) substitute 1 cup brown sugar for 1 1/2 cups white sugar;
3) add 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon;
4) double the amount of berries from 2 cups to 4 cups;
5) and use blueberries AND blackberries!

And voilĂ !
Please note: photography is not one of my hobbies.

1 comment:

dreamer said...

Dear Mel, I know that this post was posted awhile ago, but I wanted to note how much I love it and how much I love the same hobby ;-). I also love all recipes and hardly ever follow them *sigh* which makes it quite hard when someone asks for the recipe.

Post a Comment