Thursday, March 28, 2013

Island Hopping, Part 2: Apo

Our time in the sunny Philippines is over--already! The three weeks we had wasn't even close to enough time to see all these islands had to offer, but I must admit, I was almost ready to move on. The landscapes were varied and beautiful and the locals friendly, but I was exasperated by what I started calling the White Person Tax. Many locals are under the impression that because you are traveling, you have sufficient funds to pay more than the regular price for things. It wasn't a scam--they were very upfront about it. "Yes, the local price is 25 pesos," one tricycle rider told me when I was arguing over a price for a ride. "But you are a foreigner, so it is 75." And that was that.


My favorite place in the Philippines was Apo Island in the Visayas. Most people pass it over in favor of the more developed Palawan or Boracay, but those people are dumb. There's no running water on the island (Stay with me.) or electricity (Going unplugged is good for you.) or motorized vehicles of any kind (Who needs 'em when you've got a push cart?), and it's all part of the charm.

                                           *The only mode of transportation on the island.

This tiny, 72-hectare island is straight out of a book. There were generator-powered lights on the island from 6:30-9:30 pm, during which time everyone would hang out at the one karaoke bar or crowd around the few TVs in the village (even if that meant standing outside the neighbor's window like a creeper). After that, it was straight to bed so you could tolerate getting up around 4 or 5 with the multitudes of roosters strutting around the island.

Apo is a protected area for sea life, and the sanctuary there is 100% community run, meaning that defending the island from other fishers, etc., is up to the locals. Interestingly, up until 30 years ago, the islanders primarily made money from dynamite fishing. Then a local professor realized that, if the coral and tropical fish that called Apo home were allowed to flourish, the islanders would have a great source of revenue on their hands. He convinced them to make Apo a protected area, and today, tourism brings in more money than fishing ever did.

Because of the sanctuary, Apo is a mecca for divers and snorkelers. In fact, I wasn't a diver when I arrived on Apo, but I was by the time I left.

If you had told me three weeks ago that I would get my diving certification, I would have snorted unattractively at you. I can't snorkel for more than five minutes without getting a nose-full of sea water. But everyone raving about the coral convinced me to do an "introduction to diving" dive. Me being me, I prepared beforehand, reading the manual thoroughly and taking each self-assessment quiz. But, of course, book learning is quite different from real-live experience.

You control where you want to be in the water with your Buoyancy Control Device (BCD), which is a vest you can inflate and deflate with air to go up or down, and basically my learning period with it went like this.

Why isn't this thing deflating? Wait, it is. Whoa, it really is. Inflate! Inflate! Crap, I'm going to crash into the reef, just like the manual said not to because that destroys delicate aquatic life. I hate destroying delicate aquatic life! It goes against everything I believe in! Aaaaaand . . . I'm prostrate on the reef. Oh sure, BCD, now you inflate. I would make a horrible mermaid. That's fine actually. If Ariel is any indication, they are all dipshits. Bleck, this air is making my mouth dry. OK, relax. Look around. That's the point of this ridiculous exercise. OMG! I FOUND NEMO!!!*

From then on, I didn't think about my BCD or the air or the fact that I really had to pee (OK, I thought about that a little bit.). The fish and coral were mind-bogglingly beautiful. There's no way I could describe them, but let's just say I also saw Bloat and Crush and a lot of electric blue starfish.


Our divemaster, Mario Pascobello of Mario's Scuba Diving and Homestay, really added to the experience. He was thorough (He made me practice taking my mask off and putting it back on underwater five times, which is how many times it took for me to quit snorting water up my nose.) but also pretty chill. He was, and continues to be, a key player in making the reef a protected area, and was the captain of the barangay for ten years, so he was an all-around cool person to get to know.

                                                                        *Mario's selfie

This week, we're rocking Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Asia's most glamorous cities with delicious food (I have a food belly already). Then it's off to Indonesia, where more diving awaits us.


*Apparently, all my previous experience with underwater life has been through Disney movies. I even caught myself humming "Under the Sea" into my regulator.

No comments:

Post a Comment