Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Amateur Bohemian

Amateur: a. Characteristic of or engaged in by an amateur (n. a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity); nonprofessional

Bohemian: n. A person with artistic or literary interests who disregards conventional standards of behavior

That’s me, Merriam-Webster style. Currently in recovery from 1.3 years in the legal field, which consumes all creative energy it comes into contact with, I’m now interning at a small indie press in Boston. Engaging in a literary environment again has inspired me to continue work on my artsy-fartsy side and writing endeavors. While paying the bills has become a bit stickier, life seems to have more of a purpose.

An article entitled How to Be Bohemian on Wikihow.com lists six steps to achieving true Bohemianism. Here’s how I match up.
1. Create art. If that means quitting your day job, do that.
- Check.
2. Know that it's your body. If you want piercings or tattoos - go for it.
- I recently got my cartilage done. A lone hole plugged with a tiny stud. Pathetic.
3. Listen to the music, read the books, watch the movies, etc. that you like.
- I’ve read the entire Twilight series. And I liked it. Interpret that as you will.
4. Challenge what you and others believe. If you have grown up with a certain belief system (religion, political view, etc.) ask yourself why you believe this.
- Growing up, I eagerly anticipated Rush Limbaugh’s Open Line Fridays. Now, Colbert is my man.
5. Become informed about other lifestyles or points of view.
- I read the news like, every day. Does that count?
6. Express yourself in some artistic way.
- Enrolled in a beginning oil painting class. The results of which only bring me anguish and self-loathing.

Blogging acts as a method of accountability for my feeble attempts to apply steps 2 through 6 – and, on particularly industrious days, to become a foodie.

No comments:

Post a Comment